How do you do it? I get tons of emails and questions every day about how I work a 9-5, well 10-6 and blog consistently. Here's how...I DON'T SLEEP, HA. JK. Today I'm sharing some information on how I make all the magic happen, kinda. Having a plan and planning to WIN is the goal. Writing down my daily, weekly, or monthly plan for my blog helps when it comes to brainstorming and creating content. I have tons of notebooks and I even carry one in my purse because I never know when I'll become inspired. After you plan, what next?! How do you stay on track day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. Okay, let me break it down for you.
- Dedication- Are you dedicated to blogging? Is this your passion? Do you like sharing information with others? You have to be dedicated to what you're doing. It has to be your passion. When you're working and doing something you love it'll never feel like work again, I'm a firm believer of that statement. I'm dedicated to my blog! I love creating content for my supporters and helping them by giving tons of inspiration, whether it's with my personal style, tips, or travels.
- Time Management - I wake up at 7 am and product shots for my blog, it's the best time I get natural light in my home. I reply to emails and blog comments on my 30 min lunch break and after work I'm attending meetings or creating content for the week for at least 2-3 hours. My Saturday's and Sunday's are usually dedicated to preparing my blog for the next week if my photographer is in town we're shooting 10-16 outfits in a day. In between, I'm reading magazines, browsing other blogs that I love to comment on, or attending events.
- Consistency- Staying consistent will help you become successful at blogging. I decided a few months ago to blog Monday-Friday and becoming more active at pitching to brands and business. I want to make this my full-time job soon, if you are on the same route the key is to stay consistent. Your readers want to come to your blog daily and know exactly what they're getting if that's inspiration, yummy food photography, tips and tricks, DIY, personal style, whatever it may be...STAY ON TOP OF THINGS.
- Organization - Staying organized is super important when working a full-time job and blogging. I write out EVERYTHING, I keep all receipts, and I make sure when I'm at work I'm focused on my 9-5 and when I'm at home I'm focused on blogging. I start with a to-do list every morning, one for my blog and the other for my 9-5. I promise this helps so you won't feel overwhelmed or forget about a task.
- Accountability Partner/Mentor- I'm so glad I decided that I needed an accountability partner and mentor recently. I've never had either, I always worked and talked to friends about my blog, but they really didn't understand. I needed to talk to people that understood what I was doing and why. Shelby is the best, I couldn't ask for a better accountability partner. She keeps me on top of things and I do the same for her. My mentor and sister Terrinique is the smartest woman I know. She helps me with making many of my blogger business decisions and is always ready to listen and give it to me straight. She has her own business and will help to guide me down the right path to do the same.
- Supportive Family- WHEW, I really don't know what I'd do without my family support. They help make working a 9-5 and blogging that much easier. They may not understand what I'm doing and why but when I call about helping with an event, proofreading a blog post, or snapping outfit photos I can always count on my Mom, cousins, aunts, brother to get the job done.
Trust me, working full-time and blogging can be done so don't give up! All you have to do is stay focused, dedicated, organized, consistent and make sure you're using your time wisely. As you're reading this, I'm probably driving out of town to this week's blogging gig. Hard work and determination bring's many great opportunities, trust me.
How do you stay committed to your dream while working a 9-5?